[geeks] Yes, it works!

kamakazi kamakazi at pellucidar.net
Thu Jun 27 13:51:49 CDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:27:27 -0400
Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Oddly enough, I've recently been feeling strange urges to build my own
> mame cabinent.
>
> Although I was thinking along the lines of starting from scratch
> rather than an existing cabinent.  And using a mac and linux rather
> than a PC.
I was gonna build from scratch, had plans, was about to do a scale model
in cardboard, etc, but then my bro. caught wind of an old cabinet being
disposed of at his place of employment and acquired it for me for
Christmas. Some things about it are suboptimal, like depth for the
monitor, but I couldn't argue with free.

> Perhaps working in a method to use one or more consoles as well (for
> games not supported by MAME but with a PS or DC port).

I actually have pieces and circuitry design to decode shift register
controllers (NES, Genesis, etc.) and plan on putting in jacks for NES,
Atari2600, maybe a few other, controllers.  Since my primary interest is
older stuff, I'll just emulate the NES or Genesis.

> Also, what are the benefits of using a 21" computer moniter versus a
> TV?  I suspose that for emulating vector display a high res would be
> better.

I had the monitor, I don't have an extra TV.  Besides I want it to be
usable, trackball is a mouse, it's on the network, I have actually used
it as a web browser/chat station.  After all, have you ever browsed the
web on your arcade game? :-)

> I don't know why I keep thinking of this.  It's not like I have space
> to put such a cabinent.  I do pretty much have everything I need other
> than a monitor and the actual wood though.

My wife said if I made the cabinet the subwoofer had to go, but since no
one at the rummage sale bought the subwoofer, I managed to squeeze them
both in.

If I were starting over (or is that next time...) I'd probably
modularize the control panel.  Mine is removable, I can do a whole panel
swap, but I think I would make it 3 or 4 small units wide, all units fit
in all slots, so it could be (1-4 joysticks), (1 or 2 trackball), (1 or
2 spinner), (spinner, trackball, joysick) left or right handed, you get
the idea.

Tim