[geeks] Win2k DNS issue - help!

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 27 09:54:56 CDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I don't think you need to know windows well to know what it offers.
> A surface level aquaintence would do just as well.

I guess I wasn't thinking deep internals knowledge, but if you were
in a position to replace an NT server with a "real" box, wouldn't
it be nice to know what functions to replace?

> Further, should it be about what the customer gets from windows, and
> what they need, rather than just replicating what windows does but
> more reliably?

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of customers saying "but my
Windoze box does A and B, why can't you do that?"  I was thinking
interoperability issues that might come up.  I don't really
think you'd need to understand how M$ sends all sorts of information
back to their servers when you do a search.  Although knowing they
do that would be good to perhaps present to someone considering a
switch...

--Kurt