[geeks] The One True Rant (was: um, hi. I'm new.)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed Jun 26 23:59:38 CDT 2002

> > There was an article in the DMN a few days ago that mentioned
> > that a lot of the 24-hour stores were going to start having
> > shorter hours due to the economy.  Home Depot was one of the
> > chains they specifically mentioned as considering changing.
>
> We have four or five HDs here, but only two of them (one on the north
> end of town, one on the south end; about 15 miles apart) are 24 hours.

I'm not sure how many 24-hour HDs are in the Dallas area.  I'd
hate to see them start going to normal hours.

I can see the point of the off-hours being non-profitable.  They
have to have the whole store lit, and have enough employees to
assist customers, operate the cash registers, and provide
security.

I've noticed some of the grocery stores that were open 24
hours a day are now closing (usually around 11:00PM).  I've
also noticed that the last couple of new Walgreens I've seen
aren't open 24 hours.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net