[geeks] gadget needed

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 24 18:20:01 CDT 2002

so voicestream was being stupid, and i cancelled the cell service for my
phone (a handspring treo). this pisses me off, because it leaves me
without a phone. its okay, since work is going to give me a phone (some
nextel 2-way radio dealie). now, however, i find myself without a
wireless internet connection, and that pisses me off. so the gadgets i
carry around are:

phone (forthcoming)
mp3 player (ipod)
pda (treo)

i'd really like to consolidate the mp3 player and pda into a wireless
internet device. i do NOT want cellular service because it is slow and i
hate phone companies. i hate isp's too, but i hate phone companies more.
is there such a thing? the sharp zaurus seems like a good bet, but its
way too big. this makes me look at the ipaq (perhaps running linux or
netbsd?), but its only wireless options seem to be bluetooth and
802.11b, which wont allow me to sync avantgo while i'm at a museum or
other place.

can anyone offer some ideas here?

thanks
alex