[geeks] CompUSA broadband "router"

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Jun 22 21:01:56 CDT 2002

Dan Sikorski wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-22 at 01:33, Geoff Reed wrote:
> > I have a watchgusrd firebox that I got renectly "broken/as is" that I need
>
> I'm sorry to hear that.  My experience is that those things are called
> fireboxes because they're flaming pieces of shit in a brown paper bag
> left on your doorstep.

That's about right.  Over at the company formerly known as Defendnet, we
had no end of trouble with those buggers - they would fail at any time,
for any reason.  Not just reboot it and go - hardware failures, and we
had to send them back to Watchguard to be replaced.

The method of admining was also horrid - no command line, just a GUI
client.  The software that we ran on Solaris for tracking and intrusion
detection sucked infected dead donkey dick.  Spontaneously the daemon
would kill itself - on of the engineers wrote a script that just sat on
the box and ensured the daemon was running, then kicked it in the nutts
if it wasn't.  We got *zero* support from Watchguard on this...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com