[geeks] Apex DVD players

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 21 10:34:12 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:29:18AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On June 21, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > I am thinking MacroVision.
> >
> > What model does she have?  It might be trivial to disable.  For
> > instance, the newer 1500s just require booting a cd-r.
>
>   I have a 1500.  Got any info about this?

Does the serial number start with SV?  If so, you would have to go in
and replace a chip (which is problematic if you like having the on
unit display work).  If your serial number starts differently, you
have a completely different unit (about the only thing shared is the
case), and it is CD-R upgradable.

See http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1500/1500_firmware.htm

You have to go over halfway down the page to get to the part that
talks about upgrading the CD-R upgradable units.

--
Joshua D. Boyd