[geeks] APPLE/SUN APPLE GOOD KIT..SHIT SERVICE

Kevin Lee kevin at c0rp.com
Fri Jun 21 06:52:15 CDT 2002

There is NO FLAME WAR.

Apple makes neato kit. I have  a lot of it.

BUT.....I would never rely on APPLE TO FIX something
that is mission critical.  Their solution for bussiness
users when I taked to them was APPLECARE.

So you ask your apple rep...what happens when the xserve
dies or I have a problem with it.  HE replied APPLECARE.
How long. He said depeding of conditions 3 days to 2 weeks.

So there you have it , your machine is DEAD or FSCKED UP
and your clients are screaming WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO.

1) Call applecare happy in the knowledge that they will
    take care of you .......DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
2) Take matters into your own hands.  Find a spare USPARC  swap drives
    reboot and voila....done.  (I am talking simple stuff not clustered
oracle stuff)

FIGURE IT OUT.

ps: One of my customers has an Apple Server and it took 19 days to get it
back
and it was still broken to 2 trips and 5 weeks later a voila working apple
server.
Meanwhile since he did not have a spare server (his fault) he customers
left.
So now he has a NICE XSERVER and no customers.

IT does not take a phd in math or economic to figure out if your server goes
down
you need to get it repaired/replaced FAST  APPLE HAS NOT FIGURED THIS
OUT YET and I believe with shit can the XSERVER blaming poor sales
sometime in the next 9 months or so.

Meanwile I just got a call from another customer with a DEAD NETRA. Ok
I loaned him an ULTRA 2 swapped the drives and he is back working again...
And I keep a customer as well.  (netra warranty is over so parts hunting he
will go)

ITS NEVER WHAT IS COOLER...its what makes the most sense cost/performace/
reliabilty wise.

Sincerely
Kevin Lee