[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Wed Jun 19 01:59:05 CDT 2002

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> Any word on the "blade" boxes?  I don't know a heck of a lot about the
> HP blade servers, but they look very good on paper.  The compaq blade
> crap is just that -- proprietary stupidly designed crap.

The Compaq blades suck, IMHO. Who wants a 2.5" IDE drive in their
"server"? OK, it's fine for DNS, small mailing and all that, but when do
WE at $company need 30+ DNS-servers? Christ.
In my eyes, the only winners in the whole blade-debate would probably be
Dell, which incorporates proper SCSI on their machines. It takes more
space, but that's not a big issue. Man, why even buy blades when there
are 1U servers out there?
Cramming 42 units inside a 42U cabinet would be enough IMO. (Or even 47
units, with Compaqs 10647 rack)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB