[geeks] combatting smokers

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 17 22:54:05 CDT 2002

i know there are smokers on the list. and i know youre not bad people.
and some of you are even good people who dont want to bother others.

so dont consider this my being mad at you. please.

a smoker has apparently moved in next door to us (i live in a huge
apartment building), replacing our very nice and non smoking neighbor. i
guess this also explains the thumping music at 12am and 7am recently as
well. when they smoke, it makes my kitchen reek of cigarette smoke. the
building has ventilation to keep the kitchens ventilated (we have gas
stoves). this wouldnt be tolerated in a restaurant, does anyone know if
it is illegal (or anything i can force the management to "fix") in a
residential building? i know it wouldnt even be tolerated in an office
building.

i live in arlington, virginia. i'm from california (where smoking might
as well be a felony), so i am more sensitive than your average non
smoker. its literally irritating my sinuses (my noses has been itching
for a couple weeks now), and my throat is scratchy, and my eyes burn.
its extremely unpleasant.

i fear this may be an uphill battle since all the employees of the
management office smoke. i really need to be able to come to them and
force them to do something. theyre going to insist they cant smell the
smoke (big surprise there) and that i should open a window (which is
just as bad because they smoke with their WINDOWS OPEN RIGHT NEXT TO
ME!!!).

this is really causing me much stress. :(

alex