[geeks] Editor Religous Wars

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jun 17 12:07:58 CDT 2002

[[ I'm gald someone finally changed the subject line -- I wouldn't want
to miss out on any editor wars!  :-) ]]

[ On Friday, June 14, 2002 at 17:15:18 (-0500), Nathaniel Grady wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Editor Religous War (was Glad I don't live in   Texas!)
>
> > vi... The horror... the horror....
>
> I use both vi and emacs. vi is my editor, emacs is my IDE. When opening small
> text files to make a quick change (eg: /etc) vi is king because it loads so
> quickly I just keep typing w/o loosing a beat. Emacs takes a good 45 seconds
> to open.

Having good 'vi' skills is a good thing.  Having minimal ed/ex/vi skills
is a necessary thing.

However using 'vi' for quick tiny edits is not necessary.  I use 'jove',
or occasionally one of the other tiny emacs-like clones when I need a
quick editor and don't have emacs already running.

When I do have an emacs already running then the EDITOR & VISUAL
variables in my other sessions are set to 'emacsclient' and my main
emacs window opens almost instantly on the requested file (though I
should teach it to be a bit smarter about which frame to use then my
normal "shared frame", the one I keep in all workspaces, would be the
one that opens every time).

--
								Greg A. Woods