[geeks] The Bastards

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Fri Jun 14 16:47:32 CDT 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Didn't you *just* start there?  WTF happened?

Yeah -- my one month anniversery was this week. They got me on a
mixed-bag. Broke machines I hadn't explicitly been order to, set others
up. Installed unauthorized software. Also `divulged' `priveledged'
information about The Network to someone outside of the company (in
abstract terms) whom I trust implicitly (my padawan learner). Wrote me up
as having coached someone about how to get around thier firewall -- it was
my brother, trying to IM me a picture of the HV cabinet of the transmitter
he maintains. He emailed me the picture. They also got me for surfing and
IMing when explictly told not to. I wasn't doing anything the other
members of my shift weren't doing. Also got me for `taking $COMPANY or
other employee's property' -- a trolling battery that sat outside for
*three* *weeks* by an underground service transformer, in the sun, rain,
and ants. $OFFICE was a facility located in a rural area -- one of the
techs nicknamed one of the inhabitants of the *trailers* *across from the
building* `Cammo'(1). Basically, they reaped the benefits of someone with
knowledge to rebuild machines then kicked me to the curb.

I tired, I'm through, I've got to move out of this town (I'm in b'ham and
no longer have money for rent), etc. I'll move on to something else, but I
don't know what I'm going to do in the mean time to get myself back on
top (of my debt).

The guy I feel sorriest for is the manager that recommended me. But then
again, his reputation seems pretty soiled from the inside. So much for
finding employees that don't suck. $COMPANY is destined to kill itself.
They keep raising prices and fscking service up, etc., etc.

When I went into the company lobby, I saw not one but *three* disgruntled
customers. And that building isn't even there for dealing with customers
(well, not in person anyway). One got billed after he told them to cut it
loose. Another was `on the fence' trying to decide if he wanted to deal
with them and overpriced services or switch to a digital satellite
provider. The other two simply couldn't get them to roll a truck to
install it after *three* *months*.

*sigh* Me and corporate america just don't mix. That's what I get for
getting used to being left to my own devices (conslutting for free or
working for a start-up).

I hate learning experiences. They always suck, but reinforce the old
mantra -- that which does not kill me makes me stronger. I just hope I can
keep the hate from consuming me. Karma. (2)

(1) I never saw him, but he was discribed to me as always wearing no
shirt, his beeg ol' belly hanging out, always in camoflage pants, and his
dog is always howling when he's out.

(2) For someone who's just had his life fscked with in a very not-cool
way, I'm remarkably calm about the whole deal. At least I am when not
figuring out where I'm going to put all the stuff I packed into my
appartment from $HOME 90 miles north.