[geeks] Sun file system problem

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Wed Jun 12 08:08:15 CDT 2002

	Here is what is going on. Many of the school systems that I help
support are using a program called mail-gear on sparc 5 machines to serve
and filter their mail. All of these were installed by the original company
who made mail-gear, UR-labs. From what I can tell a good bunch of guys.
Unfortunately they got bought out by Symantec and the support for this
product dried up. At almost all of these school the person who helped set
this up years ago has left so I find myself troubleshooting their stopped
mail for them. These machine are running sun 5.7 (at least that's what I get
told when I telnet in)
	The most common issue is that the mail partion gets full. here is an
example of one of the systems disk partions

# df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/proc                      0       0       0     0%    /proc
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0    1758462  650659 1055050    39%    /
fd                         0       0       0     0%    /dev/fd
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6    1506815  182793 1263750    13%    /cache
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7     365047  237646   90897    73%    /var/opt/Mail-Gear
swap                  289160      36  289124     1%    /tmp

	I just got through cleaning the /var/opt/Mail-Gear, that is why it
has 90 megs free. Now what I would like to do. The cache partion hardly gets
used at all so I want to move free space to the mail-gear partion (I know
that is a crude way of saying it but it makes the most sense to me :-) ).
How do I do that, can I do that? how dangerous is it? Is their any way to
repartion a drive without wiping out the contents of the partions involved?
inquiring minds want to know....

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO