[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Tue Jun 11 17:03:51 CDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Eric Dittman wrote:

> > turned my brother fron a fun-loving guy into a zombie right-wing
> > republican.
>
> The views of extremists do not define the majority.  Most Republicans
> I know are not extremists.
>
> I may be getting the wrong impression, but from your posts I
> get the feeling that you are a very liberal person that hates
> all people and things that are conservative.

Not at all.  I did use the words "right wing" - There are many republicans
that I admire.  Hower, the party as a whole has become more and more the
identifying symbol of money, big business, and conservatism.  I find it
ironic that the party the Lincoln joined because it was the "liberal"
bunch is now just the opposite.

I wouldn't say I'm overly liberal or conservative.  I am still registered
as a democrat (keep forgetting to change theat to independent.), having
grown up in NY, but I vote with my brain.  Had my preferred candidate won
the rep. primary her in CA, I would've voted for him for Gov.  However,
his own part *and* the democrats both bashed the crap out of him, the
republicans because he was too liberal in his thinking, and the democrats
because he was liberal enough to woo people like me away from voting for
our incumbany gov., who is a loser.

However, I am pretty sick of both parties.  I also think that any party
that puses John Ashcroft on is in need of serious help.  I think the
Republican party is whining that the Democrats are taking "pot shots" at
the Bush administration, when they did it for 8 years to Clinton.  They
whine about how "we're at war", yet congress never passed a declaration of
war.  They also gave us the HUGELY successful "war on drugs."

As for conservatives, I can't help but notice that most of the wars going
on in our world these days are being backed by the conservative branches
of the governments on each side.

-Pete