Height/Weight: Re: [geeks] quiet

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 11 12:10:43 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:40:20AM -0700, Geek wrote:

> Let me guess? $75-$100? I need to get paid for this site contract and
> figure out the next one before I can commit to buying any hardware.
>
> On that, anyone know how hard a Virtual Walkthrough is to do,
> assuming one can find a decent digital camera to take the necessary
> images with? What software\hardware would be needed on the server and
> viewer side to do that? I think I have seen how this would look when
> done, but I cannot recall how it was done or with what software.

Remeber, good lighting is your friend with digital cameras.  There is
such a thing as too much, but most people don't come close to that
when in doors.  Also, a good tripod is probably a good idea.

Anyway, you aren't going into much depth, but I suspect that you want
probably want Quicktime VR if this is for a web site, unless you are
planning to make do with with strickly images and HTML.

Potentially, some cool things could be done with VRML or other newer
Web 3D systems, but in my opinion they are too cutting edge to be
highly usefull for most people.  This is based in part on past
experience writing an online anatomy tutorial.  Things are probably a
little better with some of the non-VRML web 3d things, but I still
don't think they are ready for prime time.

Of course, if you don't want allow them to talk freely, you could just
use a streaming video.  That would be darn easy to put together.

--
Joshua D. Boyd