[geeks] Info for Cheap/Acceptable PC upgrades

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 6 10:17:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 08:02:50AM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> Just one example: Networking, which was almost *easy* in 98, is now
> obfuscated beyond belief in 2K.  Some pinhead at Mickeysoft must have
> been smoking pounds of crack daily to come up with the design.

I've set up networking in NT and 2k...  I don't remeber it being too
awefull.  There was something really awefull when we were setting up a
2k network[1], but I forget what it was now.  It was on the
workstations, and was so bad we rolled back to NT 4 till the project
was completed (frankly, I never wanted to upgrade in the middle
anyway).

In my sisters case, the networking should be simple.  She just needs
basic TCP/IP using a DHCP server to configure it, and file serving.
Actually, she might not even need the file serving...

Hey, does anyone know of any "appliance" distro's of unix for acting
as simple file server/Domain server/DHCP server?  I believe the distro
of linux used on the Qubes did all but the domain serving.  Preferably
something with web based configuration...

Well, I don't really like the whole plan, but of the two OSs, 2k seems
better, and I'm not so committed to the rest of the families
computation as to out of pocket buy her a Mac (which wouldn't be too
bad), and the needed software (which would be pretty bad).

I'd sooner buy my girlfriend a Mac (and if/when we get married, I do
intend to do just that).

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1] Setting up meanning taking a network of 4 NT machines and clean
installing 3 of them to be 2k workstations and 1 2k server.