[geeks] Anyone know of a really cheap... and I mean unemploy ment cheap

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 4 16:16:00 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Tim H. [mailto:lists at pellucidar.net]
~ Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 3:55 PM
~ To: geeks at sunhelp.org
~ Subject: Re: [geeks] Anyone know of a really cheap... and I mean
~ unemploy ment cheap
~
~ Getting rid of the New Hollands?  and how big is an S8?
~
~ Tim

Thinking about it. But I really like the idea of having an old "toy" tractor
around. I am also running out of room in the barn.

Both are S8's, from the period of time that Sperry owned New Holland
('71-'72). In '73 or so New Holland sold their small equipment line to Toro.
The Toro line until the mid '80's were clearly New Holland in design. They
are an excellent design, tough as nails and a dream to drive. They have a
turning radius so tight I can mow up to and circle around tree trunks in one
pass. The hydrostatic transmission is definatly nice too, and thats why
whatever replaces them will have hydro (I'm hooked on hydro now). They have
full steel frames, tripple blade floating decks, cast iron axles, easy-turn
steering (feels like power steering), greasable everything (incl. mandrels)
and electric start. They also mow in reverse (I know that sounds stupid, but
most don't and it is a nice feature when working tight areas).

Both were built as 8 horse, but one has a newer 11 horse engine. I have two
decks, a single stage snowblower, chains, rear wheel weights and a rear
weightbox. Both run, but the 8 horse is dead and not rebuildable (worn valve
guides in block, leaks lots of oil thru guides, has little compression left
and likes to catch fire from overheating). The 11 horse has a gross
jet/float/carb body problem and floods the carb bowl if you aren't running
above 1/2 throttle (otherwise it runs well and is strong). The best bet for
a useable tractor would be the 11 horse (that one has all the accessories on
it too).

If you are interested let me know. I might keep the 8 horse to take to
antique tractor shows or something (it runs enough to do that).