[geeks] IDE Hard drive cooling

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jul 31 17:59:23 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:09:03 -0400
Ryan <mattyml at daemons.net> wrote:

> I am trying to find fans for my 7200RPM IDE hard drives. I want
> to get something to keep them super cool, but I also want something
> that is quiet. Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone purchased
> anything through 3dcool.com before?
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

I know a guy who attached the big PeeCee slot processor heat sinks to
his drives, seemed to make a difference.  The problem I see with drives
is they have relatively small surface area for a heat sink, and a lot of
them have plastic stickers on them to make for poor conductance to
external heat sinks.

I have two 9G barracudas crammed in tight in my AlphaServer 400, they
actually make contact with each other and the CD above them, I am a
little concerned about them.

Tim