[geeks] When the "ordinary" is not enough

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 31 17:22:11 CDT 2002

I have been enjoying the warm temperatures this past
week as most people seem to have in their respective
parts of the world.

Here in Amsterdam the canals have been more busy
as people have been taking their boats out for
leisurely cruises to and fro. Well, this got me to
thinking it would be nice to have a boat. Nothing
too big nor fast. Just enough to take me and maybe
5 other people around locally or short day trips.

Here is my criteria for what I _think_ I would like.
I don't know much about boats, but these seem like
good things to want:

1.  Able to carry 6-8 people.
2.  Diesel inboard engine. (I like the sound of
	diesel engines and they seem to last a long time.
3.  Steel or heavy aluminum hull. (Wood requires too
	much care and fiberglass is a bit fragile.
	If I bump into something I dont want it to break.
4.  Speed is not an issue but power is. I just want to
	be able to haul people and stuff without the
	engine stressing.

I spent a while looking at some online resources and came
up with the following. It is not within my desired price
range and it does not look too comfortable nor spacious.
But I like it and may continue to look for something similar.

Here it is:

http://213.84.71.105/duwboot.jpg

and here is the original posting with a description (in Dutch)

http://www.botentekoop.nl/bootDetails.aspx?ID=117797

What do you guys think? A good geek boat?  :)

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL