[geeks] Go Apple....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jul 29 18:03:22 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, July 29, 2002 at 16:44:50 (-0600), jodys at helluin.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Go Apple....
>
> That is just harsh, perl has always been a win in some
> cases, or no one would use it.

No, it's not even near harsh enough, and no, perl is never really a win.

Everything perl can do something else can do cleaner and/or better.

> It's not like their
> is a insidious perl conspiracy that brainwashes new
> unix users into only using perl.

You don't need an insidious conspiracy to still brainwash people into
using something like perl.  My point is/was that the type of people who
are perl programmers don't want to write good, clean, maintainable
code.  They cheer Conway when he describes the insidious features that
make a program such as SelfGOL possible to write in chicken scratches
that even make a TECO user sigh with sadness.

> Finally anyone who writes more than 300 lines in
> one perl program, needs to drop the keyboard,
> come out with his hands up, and taken to the
> proper authorities. :)

On that we agree, but I'd put the limit down around two lines,
especially if they're the kind of lines one finds in SelfGOL.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>