[geeks] Go Apple....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 29 11:06:26 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:00:35AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > >   Name a WIDELY USED language that's "higher level".
> >
> > perl, python
>
>   Ok Python maybe I can see...but while I'm no Perl expert, it sure
> doesn't seem like a higher-level language than Java.

In my opinion, Java is too anal about typing things.  Systems like
smalltalk, python, and lisp manage to do complex things without
requiring that everything be strongly and explicitly typed up front.
That perl is similar to python, smalltalk, and lisp in this reguard,
is one area were it is easy to say it is a higher level in my
opinion.  But, I just don't like perl.  The classes feel awkward,
everything looks ugly.  The onlything I do like is string handling,
and thus will sometimes break it out for that task.

--
Joshua D. Boyd