[geeks] Go Apple....

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Jul 29 09:59:48 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:32:47AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

>                                                                    Perl
> was more or less designed with the likes of the obfuscated code contests
> in mind.

Cite, please.

>           Have you never heard Damian Conway talk about his rejected
> entry to the Perl contest, SelfGOL?

No.  I'm not aware of any Perl contest.  Perhaps you mean the Obfuscated
Perl Contest - a very different beast indeed.  If you did, then yes.

>                                      It's a fascinating program, but
> would be totally impossible to write in such an unreadable way in
> smalltalk, or even lisp.

So what?  SelfGOL was specifically intended to be awful.  To use that as
an example of why perl is bad is foolish at best.

> Perl is a _bad_ language, from start to finish.  Yes, people can, with
> care, write good code using it, but that's the exception, not the rule.

People can, with care, write good code in C, but that also is the exception,
not the rule.  What's your point?

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

          All praise the Sun God