[geeks] Go Apple....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jul 28 19:43:37 CDT 2002

On July 28, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > extremely high-level language
>
> not really -- at least not in terms of L.O.C. to implement a given
> algorithm....  It's far too close to C for that....

  Name a WIDELY USED language that's "higher level".

  Further...I determine the "level" of a language as how different it is
from "average" assembly language.  Most good C programmers who are
also familiar with assembler can look at a chunk of C and visualize
the instruction stream (in general terms, maybe not specific
instructions) that will be generated by the compiler.  Anyone who can
do that with Java source code needs to take a vacation and drink more
scotch.

> > that's easy to
> > learn...
>
> perhaps....  for C (and C++?) programmers, I suppose....

  Well...I don't consider BASIC programmers to be programmers, FORTRAN
is widely used but is similar enough to C in general style (structure,
functions with parameters, local and global variables, etc) and
scheme/lisp/etc are rarely used outside of academia...so yes, for C
and C++ programmers...since they're the vast majority of programmers.

       -Dave