[geeks] Go Apple....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jul 28 11:07:24 CDT 2002

On July 28, Kevin Lee wrote:
> I fired up Solaris Management Centre on mY Netra 360/1gb ram and it
> took well 18 minutes for the first starup.....YAWN....

  This is ridiculous.  The project Sridhar and I are working on is
controlled by a large Java application.  It starts up (which involves
not only the JVM and app startup but lots of database accesses and
serial communications stuff) in less than thirty seconds on an
Ultra1/170 with 128MB of RAM.

  A poorly-written application doesn't mean the language and its
runtime system sucks.

> I personally do now use Java for anything because It will turn your
> SPARC/INTE* box into a mushy unresponsive blob....

  I used to think this way too, until I was proven wrong.  If one were
to judge the overall performance of C by the performance of Gnome
applications, for example, one would get much the same impression...as
I'm sure you're aware, C is about as fast as non-assembler programming
gets.

  This is not the fault of Java...It's the fault of bad programmers.

        -Dave