[geeks] Go Apple....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jul 27 23:17:00 CDT 2002

On July 27, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> > But they are using Java.
>
>   Do you consider this to be a bad thing?
>
> I don't know. Everything I have seen (admittedly not that much) that was
> written in Java hasn't performed well. Now I am sure it is possible to do
> Java good (especially @ Sun), but I haven't seen it.

  Oh it's definitely a lot slower than C...Performance isn't one of
Java's strong points, and it never will be.

> So, at first glance, yes I do consider it a bad thing, but I would love to
> be proven wrong.

  Well, let's put it this way.  If they do it right, you'll be able to
run it on anything that supports a JVM.  That *is* one of Java's
strong points.  If a super-fast-on-slow-hardware application is the
goal, Java is the wrong tool for the job.  But if the emphasis is on
extremely rapid application development (and I mean *extremely*
rapid!), cross-platform capability, or ease of implementation, Java is
definitely the right thing.

  Everything's a trade-off, as usual. :-(

  I strongly disliked Java for a long time, until I started serious
development with it...now I'm truly amazed by its capabilities.  Just
keep it away from web browsers...applet technology is a nasty,
terrible thing.

> Personally I liked programming in Java better than C or C++, but that was a
> long time ago. But I would like to get back into it.

  I *LOVE* C, but I'm starting to rank C++ right down there with
Microsoft.  I've never seen a piece of good, small, fast C++ code.

      -Dave