[geeks] Geforce 2 MX

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Jul 26 08:26:59 CDT 2002

Last month I asked here about cheap upgrades for my gaming pc and one of the
things that someone mentioned that video cards with this chipset could be had
reasonably cheap. So I actually got paid for a bit of consulting work and went
to a local used/new computer shop and started snooping.

In their used section I found a VisionTek Xtasy 64mb Geforce 2 mx pci card and
a usb joystick. Brought them home popped in the video card, installed the
drivers, and oh my what a difference from the 4mb ATI Rage Pro that's on the
motherboard. I don't know if any of you are into Flight Sims, but one of my
favorites is X-Plane (www.x-plane.com) and it uses OpenGL which meant the ATI
video was essentially unusable. Now it's sweet. And not having to keyboard it
helps too!

Nothing earthshaking or special, really, about any of this - Just sort of a
thank you to all of you for the advice given last month. I'd have not had a
clue as to what video card to get otherwise and it's a cheap way to give me a
decent game box. Now I just need to find the pennies for a big (well bigger
than the 6gb in it) cheap ide drive and I'll be set for quite awhile.

Thanks all,

William