[geeks] Re: Tru64 (was: Re: just an other Linux rant (was: Re: [geeks] fw))

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Jul 25 15:39:20 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 02:50:21PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I was under the impression that any competent volume management
> package was supposed to be able to add disks, resize the volume, etc,
> on the fly, or at least with a quick dismount (all though on the fly
> is cooler).
Yes. But this are functions of AdvFS, not LSM.
An other nice thing is that AdvFS distincs data storage and data
management. You create a file domain on a disk (partition) or LSM
volume. Then you can build multiple file sets (i.e. file systems)
in a single file domain. All file sets share the available space
in the file domain. You can set quotas on file sets and limmit
the max. space of a file set. e.g.:
# df -k
Filesystem             1024-blocks        Used   Available Capacity  Mounted on
root_domain#root            262136      102308      152296    41%    /
usr_domain#usr             1589072     1392393      132728    92%    /usr
usr_domain#var             1589072        9332      132728     7%    /var
(Uuups. That recently installed teTex stuff has eaten that much space?)

You can have a "undelete" / trashcan function which stores deleted files,
you can set special attributes like "stripe this file across multiple
volumes within a file domain to get better IO throughput", conditional
sym links like tmp -> cluster/members/{memb}/tmp for that nifty cluster
stuff and ...
--

tsch,
         Jochen