[geeks] AOL is being investigated.......YOU HAVE LAWSUITS!!!!!!!!

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Thu Jul 25 10:49:04 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:14:38AM +0200, Kevin Lee wrote:
> Seems now that AOL cooked the books really good...
> The next to take a shit kicking all over wallstreet??

Disclaimer: I work for AOL.

What AOL did was shady, but not illegal. And /every single other/ content
provider at the time was doing it. Yahoo, Excite (who I worked for at the
time), etc. It's no different than an ISP telling a hardware vendor that
wanted their business, 'Okay, I will buy X servers from you if you buy X T1s
from me.' And that is common practice as well.

The Post simply latched onto the current corporate stigma surrounding
accounting practices to take a swing. It's bad journalism and it's creating
unnecessary fear when there are folks like Adelphia's suits who are actively
stealing money.

David