[geeks] Quick C question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 25 10:29:54 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:21:38AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, July 25, 2002 at 00:10:19 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] Quick C question
> >
> > The random number generator files of the code I'm working over are
> > full of magic numbers, that I don't really have names for, or really
> > know what exactly they are doing.  I think I'll avoid naming them for
> > now for that reason.
>
> Why are you mucking about in a random number generator if you don't
> understand the algorithm in detail?  What are you going to use those
> random numbers for?  Hopefully not for anything related to security!

First I'm mucking in it strickly to fix the compiler warnings.
Second, I'm using the random numbers in a photon mapping renderer that
I'm working on understanding and upgrading (and if you ask why am I
upgrading something I don't understand, the answer would be that the
original author wrote it cleanly enough that I can work on the parts
that I do understand before completely mastering the rest).

--
Joshua D. Boyd