just an other Linux rant (was: Re: [geeks] fw)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Jul 25 10:01:17 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:06:08AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I would have though that / fs type would be an optional boot parameter
> to be passed to the kernel by lilo.
Maybe. I did not see anything like that. The only parameter in that
area that I know are root=/dev/somedisk and init=/bin/sh_or_the_like.
A *BSD reads the FS type from its disklabel / asks if it can't
mount a FFS insted of panic without a chance of user intervention.

> I keep meaning to try LVM.  It sounds nice.
LVM is nice. We use it already on a 450 GB hardware RAID5.
But it is not nice when it fails. Once there went somthing wrong
while booting. Result was a completely garbled LVM => volume group
assignment.

> I haven't heard anything
> to indicate that NetBSD has anything similar.
No. And I am afraid that it will not appear in the near future.
(Remember that the upcoming 1.6 release is the first with SMP...)
FreeBSD has vinum.
--

tsch,
         Jochen