[geeks] fw

Ryan mattyml at daemons.net
Wed Jul 24 16:47:57 CDT 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:00:21AM +0200, alex at r2e.lt wrote:
>
>>Hi guys
>>just want to know your opinion about firewalling,
>>I mean what kind of OS with some packet filters or
>>commercial stuff is the best for this task and why ?
>>If there is heavy loaded network and small budget.
>

> I like a SPARC running IPFilter (www.ipfilter.org).
>
> Bill

ipfilter works great for small shops with a small budget. If
you are looking to filter large ammount of traffic and require
additional functionality (VPN, external authentication,application
layer gateways, reporting, ease of management) outside of stateful
packet inspection, I highly recommend Checkpoint Firewall-1 on Nokia
or Sun hardware. Nokia boxes + IPSO + Voyager  make great reasonably
priced Firewalls.

- Ryan