[geeks] Stupid recording engineers

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 24 16:17:32 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:03:14PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 16:41:09 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] Stupid recording engineers
> >
> > I was shopping at radio shack, and they don't seem to have what I
> > want.  Basically, I want to hook 3 computers and 1 or more accessories
> > to one set of powered speakers.  The stuff at radio shack typically
> > has 2, occasionally 3 stereo chanels, and multiple mono chanels, which
> > means 2 or 3 devices would behave the way I desire, and the rest would
> > act like a normal mixer (meaning 2 chanels used for 1 device).
>
> I once found a MIDI-controlled pre-amp made by Mark-of-the-Unicorn, the
> "Mixer 7s".  It's not cheap though -- around $600[usa] -- and I'm not
> sure it's made any more (came out in ~1996, IIRC).

How did that product deal with zippering?

> There's also lots of bigger board mixers with computer (usually MIDI)
> control for automation.  (eg. the Tascam MM1)
>
> The MOTU Mixer 7s is about the smallest, cheapest, mixer made primarily
> for computer-only control though.
>
> If you can find one of those on the used market....  I want it!  ;-)

I'll try to remeber that, but it is unlikely I will.

> There are a few high-end multi-channel computer audio cards too with
> which you could build a mixer from a computer.....

Yeah, I could persue that route, but then I'd either need a modern
Mac, a modern Windows machine, or an RME Hammerfall card.  I don't
have the cash for any of those.

And besides, I really want to try my hand at this.  Time to stop
thinking it would be cool to design and make audio systems of my own,
and to start doing it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd