[geeks] Nvidea buys out Exluna

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Jul 24 16:04:44 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

>I wonder exactly why Nvidea wanted them.  Clearly Exluna does
>somethings related to Cg, but not in real time or anything.
>
>For those who don't know what Exluna is, they are a company that
>produces 2 rendering packages.  One is BMRT, which has been mentioned
>more than once by various people here.  This package was used in A
>Bug's Life, and other films.  The other product is Entropy, which is
>faster, better, and the commercial, not free product from the company
>(and I don't know what it has been used in).

Actually, they don't produce anything now. They settled the IP lawsuit
with Pixar a couple weeks ago and they have ceased development on
Extropy completely.

BMRT is no longer available for download either.

Entropy is being used for this really cool wicked movie called 'The
Core' that is coming out in November ;-)

shawn