[geeks] Stupid recording engineers

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jul 24 15:30:27 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 14:46:16 (-0400), Tim H. wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Stupid recording engineers
>
> In any case there is no way to conveniently sum 2 channels
> passively without taking a big hit in signal strength, if there was
> there would be no reason to build your op amp mixer we were discussing
> last week.

Exactly.

Now with speaker outputs from a power amp you've got enough power that
all you'd need to do is some impedance matching to combine down to one
speaker, but you have to watch out you don't fry something when playing
such games.  With headphone outputs you're probably not going to cause
any damage, but you probably don't have enough power, and with some
headphone amps you're going to cause nasty stuff to happen anyway.  No
wonder it sounds horrible!

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>