[geeks] Stupid recording engineers

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 24 14:36:33 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:46:16PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> In any case there is no way to conveniently sum 2 channels
> passively without taking a big hit in signal strength, if there was
> there would be no reason to build your op amp mixer we were discussing
> last week.

I know.  I am working at getting the pieces for said headphone mixer.
I've put together an order of parts to radio shack, and also have my
eye on some ebay pieces.  Wouldn't you know it, I typed in a part
number I want, and ebay pops up one auction ending in 30 seconds, then
another ending in 5 days.

Once I'm happy with how the simple stuff using just radio shack parts
works, I'll go and order the proper faders, find a decent project box,
etc.  It seems that this shouldn't take too much time to do, but
things always have a way of expanding to require 1.5x the available
time.

> I am curious what the headphone was supposed to do, was it supposed to
> sum channels of a stereo source, or was it supposed to plug into a mono
> source and still use both speakers?

I don't know.  The manual is long since gone.  In fact, just today I
bought a new set that don't have any inline volume control or mono
stereo switch.  This new set is still a cheap radio shack pair, but
not as cheap.  The old pair is repair able.  I just need a soldering
iron and some tape or shrink tubing.  I'll just leave the stupid
volume control out of the repaired version.

--
Joshua D. Boyd