[geeks] HIPPI switch on ebay

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 23 16:51:33 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 05:46:13PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > [1] I seem to recal Sridhar saying something about having it between
> > an IBM and Onyx, and maybe Francisco said something once, not sure.
>
>   Nope, Sridhar hasn't messed with his Onyx (which used to be mine)
> yet.  I believe his S/390 G5 has a HIPPI interface but it isn't being
> used.  Onyx HIPPI interfaces sell for LARGE amounts of money, so are
> somewhat difficult to come by.
>
>   Brian Hechinger has some HIPPI equipment.

Ah.  And he has a rather nice Onyx.  Wonder if he put the two together
yet...  Well, back to work.

Tonight, I get to play with a new toy.  I was going to post a URL, but
the manufactor doesn't appear to have a web page for it yet.  Oh well.
http://www.immersion.com/products/custom/laproimpulse.shtml
Imagine two of those mounted in one unit.  Communication with the host
machine requires 3 PCI slots.  We just got it and apparently I need to
develop a high level interface for it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd