[geeks] HIPPI switch on ebay

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 23 16:02:21 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 04:50:05PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   HIPPI is generally treated by operating systems as a network
> interface.  I've only ever seen it used in point-to-point
> configurations, but I konw it's possible to run a bunch of nodes into
> a switch...I assume it's just a matter of setting the network
> addresses appropriately and plugging them in.

I suspect the reason you've only seen it used that was is the expense
involved.  A switch like that would be the perfect touch for the FCSA
(Florida Center for Supercomputing applications, AKA Dave's house) to
tie the Cray's, Onyx's, etc together.  Are Hippi cards available for
Auspex?

--
Joshua D. Boyd