[geeks] Silicon Graphics 4d/480VGX (for trade!)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 23 10:22:22 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:09:42AM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>
> >Sigh.  Things like this make my consider renting a storage locker.
> >SMP r3ks are just so cool (remeber, I'm the one who thinks that R3Ks
> >are far cooler than any other CPU SGI has released).
>
> Why do you like the R3000s so much?

Despite there short comings, I think they are an elegent and simple
risc architecture.  While Sparcs are pretty cool to, I think r3ks are
more elegent.  Perhaps I'm delusional, and perhaps there is no good
reason.  I also really love 68ks, but then, lots of people love those.

BTW, someone is sending me a ATTO SE 4D card (fast wide differential
scsi II).  I plan to drop it in my 840av, and look into seeing how far
I can push the internal video capture without using compression.  With
only 1 fast wide bus, we won't have enough bandwidth for 8bit RGB, but
if I can get the thing to convert to YUV 4:1:1 (the same used by DV,
except DV also adds compression and uses a 720x460 resolution instead
of 640x480) on the fly (should be much harder than some of the other
real time processing the 840av would do using the DSP), then it should
work nicely.

--
Joshua D. Boyd