[geeks] Alpha memory

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Jul 23 07:05:40 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 01:12:45PM +0200, William S. wrote:

[some Alpha]
> As you can see it has minimal memory.
I do not see. Or is "geheugen" the Dutch word for RAM?
(80 MB is not much for an alpha, but enough to get somthing to go.)

> It also needs a HDD.
Depends on the disk adapter. Is a SCSI adapter included?

> Any idea where to find proper
> memory for this and the cost?
This depends on the exact type of the system.
If it is a DEC 3000 300 it needs 8 or 32 MB PS/2 FPM SIMMs with parity.
(One bank is four SIMMs)
A DEC 3000 [456789]00 neesd very special 100 pin SIMMs.
(One bank is 8 SIMMs)
(SDRAM) DIMMs where only used on later 21164 systems, so I asume this
machine will need PS/2 FPM SIMMs with parity.
How many SIMMS per bank depends on the system. The AlphaStation 200 e.g.
needs two, the AlphaServer 1000 (?) needs five (!), most other need four.

Get the exact system name / type and the current memory configuration.
If it has already 80MB, replacing 16 MB with 64 will give you 128 MB.
This should be enough for NetBSD. Tru64 needs some bits more, it will
run fine with 192 MB. Don't know about OpenVMS. Sets of four PS/2 FPM
SIMMs can be found on EBay in the SGI section. (Indigo2 and Indy need
the same RAM.)

> They are asking for 100 euro on this.
That is OK. (i.e. Get It!)
--