[geeks] microvax 3x00

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jul 22 15:03:41 CDT 2002

On 2002.07.22 19:13 R. Lonstein wrote:

> A friend snagged two Microvax 3x00's decommissioned from work. When he
> returns next month I'll receive one, so I don't know the exact model
> yet. He was certain it was a Microvax and not a Vaxstation and guessed
> it was from the early 1990's.
A "Microvax 3x00" can be a lot from a small, slow 3100m10 to a small,
fast 3100m96 or a not so slow and big 3900.

>     * In general, what am I in for with this?
Depends on the model...

> Worth tinkering with?
Allways. It is a VAX!

>     * What's the preferred OS (OpenVMS?)? I found the OpenVMS hobbyist
>       site on Compaq. Can you get ISOs?
OpenVMS or NetBSD. OpenVMS media and licenses can be obtained from [what
ever DECUS is called now]. NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/

>     * What will parts- HD, RAM- assuming I need them, run me?
Depends very on the model. The 3100 machines can take SCSI disks. The
Qbus based 3[2345689]00 can be equipped with MFM, ESDI, SDI, DSSI, SCSI,
??? disks. RAM is allways proprietary. You can ge this parts for cheap
by occasion or for $$$ if you need it right now...

>     * Any tricks to running the thing headless?
If it is a MicroVAX, it is headless per definition. (Only VAXstations
have heads.)
--

tsch,
         Jochen