[geeks] Newspaper (fwd)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Jul 20 07:35:15 CDT 2002

[This originally went to my family, vie email.]

Since no one is up (or home in the case of Mom), I thought I'd pass along
a *delightful* conversation I had with our paper carrier this morning.

First, I see a red minivan (50HS923 or 50HS924) moving at a high rate of
speed through the straight of way[1]. I'd estimate it at 50 MPH. As I was
finishing up with the dog, he came back around, by Tom's, then down toward
us. When he approached with the paper in hand, I took it from him -- not
grabbing, merely accepting it. Then I spoke:

"I can understand making up for lost time, but please, let's keep the
speed down. A dog or kid could come out of a ditch and you wouldn't even
have time to react."

He responded:
"Telling me how to do my job? (I think he said something here about he
knows how to do his job) Do you want me to tell you how to do your
job?"

Me:
"Well, I don't have a job, so that's not really a point."

Him:
"I see. So you're a deadbeat?"

He drove off at this point, I didn't even bother to reply.

Note: I was not condescending, or angry or anything but `pleading'. Trying
to be nice neighbor (yeah, if it's not to much trouble, could you keep it
down a little? thanks...).

[1]: This street is posted with a red construction-style 25 MPH speed
     limit sign.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
"Everytime my faith in humanity has been tested...humanity has failed."