[geeks] Wooh - Mac OS X.2

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Thu Jul 18 21:47:47 CDT 2002

On 7/18/02 6:52 PM, "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:36:15PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
>> If it were a major rewrite, surely it would be version 11.  I don't pay for
>> point upgrades.
>
> From what I"ve heard, it *should* be called OS XI.
>
> But, they drove "OS X" into people's heads, so its 10.2.

Well, you see things like "compatible with MacOS 8.6 and higher" which, of
course, usually means that it isn't compatible with MacOS 10.  But if you
see "compatible with MacOS 8.6 and higher and MacOS X" you know it's
compatible with MacOS 10.  OS 10 (or OS X) is a completely different entity
as far as that is concerned.  When they finally do move to OS 11 or (OS XI),
will we be seeing "compatible with MacOS 8.6 and higher and MacOS X and
higher"?  They'll never sell another copy of Mathematica for Macintosh,
because all the mathematicians will leave.

-Jonathan