[geeks] single sign-on, centralized auth

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Thu Jul 18 21:37:27 CDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> My first research project at $job fell into my lap while trying to get my VPN
> tunnel setup today.  What I've got to do is come up with a way to centralize
> the authentication.  I'm looking for somthing to centralize UIDs, GIDs, and
> work across Solaris, Windows, Linux, etc.
>
> Any ideas?  The only thing I've used before was RSA ACE/Server, and that costs
> $$$$...

One local company contacted me once about doing some consulting work, only
to balk at the price of a 1099 $50/hr. They were looking at using RADIUS
to do this, but didn't want to come very specific on how. What I saw done
at $COLLEGE years ago was Samba running on the Solaris machines [NIS+
syncing all Linux + Solaris boxes] and The Standard PDC / BDC M$ System
with ids automagically added. They had some custom scripts or whatnot that
setup the UNIX home directories as SMB drives...

This `single-signon' thing is mysterious to me. I don't get the idea, and
*really* don't see how you can add a Mac into it.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
"Everytime my faith in humanity has been tested...humanity has failed."