[geeks] thinking about Sun certification

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jul 18 20:38:02 CDT 2002

On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 12:47 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 07:04:17AM -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>> Need some pointers please. Links to good website for certs, good books,
>> study plans etc.
>
> *blink*
>
> SHAME ON YOU, MIKE.  How DARE you ask for WEB SITE POINTERS!!!! 8-)
>
> I actually wrote a chapter on VI for Syngress' Sol8 certification
> book, and the SunSoft press stuff is great.
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/info-books.php
>
> Bill

Yes I can vouch for that book and the Exam Cram from Coriolis.  Put the
Syngress and Exam cram books together and you'll ace the test.  I am an
SCSA - 8 as of Friday last week.  I liked your vi blurb Bill.  Let it
also be noted that the worst cert-prep books on the planet are the
Microsoft Press books.  They're good books, but they don't prepare you
for the test at all.  I have passed 13 tests (Cisco, Microsoft, and
Sun), and failed just one.  I used Cisco Press, Exam Cram, and Syngress
books for everything except the failed test.  The Syngress books are
great because they do a lot of on-the-job coverage and approach the
subject from the "why" standpoint.  To some extent the Exam Crams do the
same thing believe it or not... but they do it faster with special
emphasis on what exactly will be on the test.

-Andrew