[geeks] welcome to ... DOT MAC! ..............DOT DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 14:28:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:18:25PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:

> A friend of mine calls it the "Steve Jobs Personal Reality Distortion
> Field".  It surrounds him and anyone he works with.  He says that the
> moon shall be an apple and they start pointing out the bites in the
> crust.  On one hand it's allowed him to produce some of the better
> computers and OS in the world - on the other hand it makes him able to
> do some pretty stupid things.  I suspect an accounting suit is behind
> all this somehow.

Well, it is sensible to start charging I think.  However, it would
have been better to slip a notice up on the iTools site or something,
rather than broadly annouce it at a major media even when you aren't
announcing something extremely great at the same time.

Oh, and lots of people refer to Steve Jobs Personal Reality Distortion
Field, not just your friend.

> >BOMB #2 OSX 10.2 will cost existing 10.1 owners full whack no discount.
>
> Thank you "Microsoft Pricing Model"

I think that was a bad move.  I bet a lot of people will think that
that is a lot of money for a point release, especially if they are
still viewing OS X as not properly stable.

You compare this to the MS pricing model, but it seems more like going
to a new SP version rather than a major update (like going from NT4
SP3->SP4 rather than NT4 to 2000).

> >BOMB #5 NO price discounts on anything except the most expensive imac
> >15inch and that is after they raise the price by 100 dollars 3
> >months ago.
>
> IMHO Apple needs to drop their prices for everything.  While it's good
> to produce quality products they need to remember who they're selling
> them to.  Not everyone is willing to pay more for their computer than
> some of the cars they's owned.

I think they need to have something decent in the sub $700 market.
But that is going to be difficult to do with flat panels.  Decent
could easily be a G3 still, but with a OS X 3D accelerator video adapter.

--
Joshua D. Boyd