[geeks] welcome to ... DOT MAC!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jul 18 13:19:35 CDT 2002

AAAUGH!

got this email today, looks like they are gonna take away my mac.com
email at the end of Sept.

I used them too, for stuff where I though I might want a response, so I
didn't give the /dev/null address but didn't want to give them my real
email, or even my real domain.

>> START QUOTE

Today we announced .Mac, pronounced "Dot Mac," that replaces the Apple
iTools
service. In the two and a half years since we introduced iTools, both
the
demand for Internet services and the cost of providing them has
increased
dramatically. As a result, we're no longer able to offer iTools for
free.
Instead, we are introducing a new paid membership program that will
allow us
to continually enhance and expand our Internet services offerings for
our
customers.

>> END QUOTE

And why the heck call it that?  Do they WANT to be perceived as a second
rate company copying redmond?

Tim