[geeks] Wooh - Mac OS X.2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jul 18 08:45:30 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 01:05:13PM +0200, William S. wrote:
> Why am I beginning to feel "left out" since I do
> not own a G3/G4?  :)
> It must be really impressive to have guys like yourself
> who are knowledgeable compliment it.
> Maybe I am old fashion or behind the curve thinking
> that my next box might be an Alpha (maybe DS-10) but
> for the same amount of money would I be better off
> with a Mac?

In part it comes down to what you want to do with it.  For some
people, they are ready to consider a normal computer, and the G3s w/
OSX gives you a monster of a machine, running a fairly stable unix,
all hiding under a normal computer OS.

Another part is financials.  If I want to make an SGI my next
computer, I will need the SGI (figure $300 for O2, or $500 for
Octane), and then the development kit for another $600.  Or, for $900
to $1100, I can buy an older G4 with OSX, and while the graphics won't
be as meaty, the compiler will be free, and the development kits are
far nicer from what I've seen, and it will likely be a faster machine,
at least for general desktop use.

I'm not saying that't what I've going to do, but it does weigh on my
mind that it might be more practical to go with a mac over and SGI for
my next main workstation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd