[geeks] Back to Windowmaker on Solaris

Michael Schiller schiller_1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 17 22:09:32 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 mattyml at daemons.net wrote:

> I set the default depth in:
>
>  /usr/dt/config/Xservers
>
> to:
>
> :0 Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -dev \
> /dev/fb defdepth 24 defclass TrueColor

Ok, I know this is probably a silly question, but here goes:

My U30 is currently headless (and has been for a while), but has my
SunPCi card in it. I've been using VNC to run the sunpci software (as
per a suggestion by one of the list members, thanks), but was wondering,
if I was to start Xvnc by adding a line in /etc/dt/config/Xservers like
this:
 :1 Local local_uid at none nobody /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 -geometry
1024x768 -depth 24

Are there any security issues I should be aware of? I know that this
goes around vnc's passwd mechanism, but as it runs dtlogin the system
isn't insecure, or is it? Also, as this machine is headless, can I
comment out the :0 entry, or is this not really needed?

BTW, notice that the file is /etc/dt/config/Xservers NOT
/usr/dt/config/Xservers as per Sun's recommendation that the file be
copied to /etc/dt/config if you make changes to it.

Thanks.
--
-Mike