[geeks] Cisco "firewall" solutions

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jul 17 10:42:59 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:59:24AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> at the Bungo offices I used one in 'transparent' mode between
> the DSL reouter and the switch - folks used the IP of the DSL router for the
> gateway and had no idea the netscreen was there.  Completely and totally
> transparent.

Yep, thats exactly what I need.

> Cost is about $500 new, with a 10-user license.  Unlimited license is another
> $500, I think.  You might find one on eBay though for cheaper.
> A *very* quick check on eBay gives these - good deal on the gray (first gen,
> same as mine)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2038344028
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2039254440
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2039398356
> There are others, but these caught my eye.

Thanks - those look great, but I may end up going with a floppy-based
PC-box solution due to price concerns.. I've already got a pair of SMC
decchip ethernet cards, etc.

Now if I can just find a floppy "router" package that does transparent
firewalling..

Bill

--
Bill Bradford