[geeks] Cisco "firewall" solutions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Jul 17 09:59:24 CDT 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've got a DSL connection with static IP addresses here at the house
> (switched over to statics yesterday), but its a *bridged* connection -
> not routed...
>
> Does Cisco make a product/router with two ethernet interfaces, that I
> can use *unnumbered*/transparenty to protect the systems on my network?

You're looking for transparent firewalling?  Transparent as in, one of the
interfaces has an IP for management only?  I don't know about Cisco, but I use
a Netscreen-5 here at the house, it has never failed me.  It is currently setup
in NAT mode, but at the Bungo offices I used one in 'transparent' mode between
the DSL reouter and the switch - folks used the IP of the DSL router for the
gateway and had no idea the netscreen was there.  Completely and totally
transparent.

Cost is about $500 new, with a 10-user license.  Unlimited license is another
$500, I think.  You might find one on eBay though for cheaper.

A *very* quick check on eBay gives these - good deal on the gray (first gen,
same as mine)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2038344028
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2039254440
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2039398356
There are others, but these caught my eye.

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster