Ohio Gun Laws (was [geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Jul 17 09:46:42 CDT 2002

Michael Schiller wrote:

> Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >
> > Good thing the rifle/pistol range is only a 30 minute
> > drive from the new place.
>
> I thought that Ohio doesn't issue Pistol Permits at all? Has that
> changed?

They don't issue concealed carry permits, but *open* carry is technically legal
throughout the state, with some the exception of a few localities (last I
checked anyway).  However, the police can, and do, choose to harrass you with
bogus charbges like 'inciting panic' or some other trumped up bullshit if
someone complains about the pistol on your hip.

There are no laws restricting pistol ownership, other than obvious ones
(minors, criminal history, mental instability, etc).

Rifle ownership is relatively unrestricted.  You are allowed to carry it
visibly in your vehicle (i.e. pickup trucks with gun racks) if the action is
seperate an inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.  At least when I
last researched...
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster